Remove Your Payee! Learn How. Get Form SSA-11.

You have the right to receive your own Social Security check.  Get rid of your payee.  Show the Social Security Administration you can manage the benefits yourself.

Break free from the chains or your payee!

File SSA-11, answering questions 1, 3, 5, 6, and 8, and signing on page 4.

Gather Proof to Show you Don’t Need a Payee.

First, gather proofs to show the Social Security Administration that you can manage your funds, such as:

  • Doctor’s Statement
    • Go to your doctor and ask for his/her support.  Ask them to write a note or a letter stating that your condition has changed and you can manage your money.
  • Medical Evidence
    • Find and use a medical record that supports your claim.
  • Court Order
    • Do you have a court order that states that you are competent?
    • Did you have your guardian/conservator removed?
    • Did you become emancipated?
  • Other Supportive Statements
    • Ask your family, friends, pastor, etc., to write a statement that you can provide that supports that you can manage your money.  Have them include specific examples of your success.
  • Other Evidence
    • Bank statements from a checking account.
    • An itemized list of monthly payments made.
    • A budget.
    • A 5-year plan.
    • School records showing passing grades.

Minors can do it too.

Even if you are a minor, if you can provide the necessary proof, you should be allowed to manage your own funds.

File SSA-11, answering questions 1, 3, 5, 6, and 8, and signing on page 4.

Make sure there is no downside.

Importantly, before you take in your proofs and try to get rid of your payee, make sure it won’t affect your eligibility for benefits in the first place.  If the Social Security Administration believes your condition has improved to the point that you no longer need a payee, your eligibility for disability payments may be reevaluated.  Therefore, you have to consider if you want to open the door to this possible reevaluation. The alternative is to consider finding a different payee rather than opening this door.

You have a right to appeal.

Don’t like the result?  Appeal the decision that you need a representative payee or the decision as to who is appointed as your payee.  You have 60 days to appeal a decision by contacting SSA.

Contact your local Social Security office or call 1-800-772-1213 for more information.

Again, the form you will need is SSA-11.

Additional Resources:
Find your local Social Security Office


Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *