My grand daughter is being abused. What do I do?


When any abuse or neglect is suspected, it should be reported. If my grand daughter were abused or neglected, my goal would be to get the matter documented and reported to the proper authorities and to provide support to my grand daughter.

The child protective services office in the county in which the victim resides is the proper authority. I would contact child protective services. I would also build momentum by reaching out to those who are required to report abuse and notifying them so that they can be aware and involved. I would ask for them to report the matter if they see any signs of abuse and provide any assistance possible. See below for a list of people/professionals who are required to report suspected abuse.

I would also stay close to my grand daughter by becoming more involved in her daily life and by building her up with positivity. It will be best for her to become empowered with the confidence and self-love she needs to stop the abuse now and prevent a cycle of abuse in her life.

I would not stop until I succeeded in getting help for her and in solving the matter.

Typically, the following people/professionals are required to report suspected child abuse:

Medical Personnel: Physicians, psychiatrists, surgeons, residents, interns, dentists, dentist hygienists, medical examiners, pathologists, osteopaths, coroners, Christian Science practitioners, chiropractors, podiatrists, registered and licensed practical nurses, emergency medical technicians, substance abuse treatment personnel, hospital administrators and other personnel involved in the examination, care or treatment of patients.School and Child Care Personnel: Teachers, school personnel, educational advocates assigned to a child pursuant to the School Code, truant officers, directors and staff assistants of day care centers and nursery schools, and child care workers.

Law Enforcement: Truant officers, probation officers, law enforcement officers, and field personnel of the Department of Corrections.

State Agencies: Field personnel from the Departments of Children and Family Services, Public Health, Public Aid, Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities, Corrections, Human Rights, Rehabilitation Services. Also includes supervisors and administrators of general assistance under the Illinois Public Aid Code.

Others: Social workers, social service administrators, substance abuse treatment personnel, domestic violence program personnel, crisis line or hotline personnel, foster parents, homemakers, recreational program or facility personnel, registered psychologists and assistants working under the direct supervision of a psychologist, members of the clergy.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *